What do you do with overly ripe bananas? You make banana bread of course! In this case, you make dairy free banana bread.
So don’t throw out those overly ripe bananas. If your not ready to make banana bread right away, you can always put the bananas in the freezer until you are ready or have enough to make this delicious dairy free banana bread.
If you choose to use frozen bananas instead of fresh, you can thaw them in a bowl of hot water for about 5-10 minutes. When thawed, drain off the water, peel your bananas, and add them to your mixing bowl. Wait about 5 minutes for all the excess liquid to come out of the bananas and them drain off the liquid. Now you are ready to add the other ingredients.
This dairy free banana bread smells amazing and tastes incredible. No one will believe that it is dairy free. You can enjoy it anytime as a snack or in the morning with a nice, hot cup of coffee.
If you are like me or have kids like me who don’t want to wait an hour for the banana bread to finish, you can always use some of the batter to make 4 to 6 mini muffins or 2 to 3 muffins to sample while you wait. The mini muffins usually only take 12 to 15 minutes to bake. Regular size muffins can take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes. You know the muffins are done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Can I use this dairy free banana bread recipe to make muffins instead?
Yes, you can also use this dairy free banana bread recipe to make banana nut muffins instead. You can leave the walnuts out, if you prefer. Be sure to use a dairy free cooking spray or cupcake liners so the muffins do not stick to the pan. Also, be sure to adjust the baking time as mentioned previously. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter.
Can I use add-ins in this dairy free banana bread recipe?
Yes, you can definitely use add-ins like walnuts, dairy free mini chocolate chips, or dried berries.
How do I store this dairy free banana bread or muffins?
This dairy free banana bread or dairy free banana muffins can be stored in an airtight container or plastic storage bag for two to three days. You can also wrap slices or muffins with plastic wrap and put in a plastic freezer bag in the freezer for up to a month. Thaw at room temperature or microwave slices or muffins at 15 second intervals checking to see when it is warmed through.
Dairy Free Banana Bread
- 1 bread/loaf pan
- 5 or 6 peeled, ripe bananas (fresh or thawed after frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup dairy free butter (Ex: Smart Balance)
cream together the above ingredients with a mixer and then mix in the rest of the ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups white all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ to ¾ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Peel and cut 5 or 6 ripe bananas. Add them to the mixer. (If you use frozen bananas, thaw them in a bowl of warm or hot water, drain, and then peel. Wait about 5 minutes after adding the thawed bananas to the mixer. Remove any excess liquid that comes off of the bananas from the mixer.)
- Add the white sugar, brown sugar, and dairy free butter alternative.
- Use the mixer to cream these ingredients together.
- Then, add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until incorporated.
- Next, add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated and you have a batter.
- Spray a bread/loaf pan with a dairy free, nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the bread pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for approximately one hour. (When a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean, it is done.)