Dairy-free broccoli cheese soup is a creamy and comforting dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner. This soup is also perfect for anytime of the year, with its warm, creamy texture and rich flavors. This dairy free broccoli cheese soup is easy to make, requiring simple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry. The secret to its creaminess is the combination of a roux, cashew/almond milk, and dairy-free cheese. This trio not only gives the soup a creamy texture but also imparts a cheesy flavor that is hard to resist. In addition, the chicken broth contributes to the depth of flavor, making it a hearty and satisfying dish. The result is a dreamy, comforting soup that will make you and your family forget it’s dairy-free.
What are some health benefits of dairy-free broccoli cheese soup?
This family-friendly soup recipe is not only easy to make but also offers a healthy twist to the traditional soup. Replacing cream and other milk products with dairy-free options reduces the fat content of this soup. Foods high in saturated fats contribute to heart disease and other chronic diseases. Dairy products can also cause inflammation so replacing them with plant based, dairy-free products eliminates this risk. If you notice bloating, digestive upset, or joint pain after consuming dairy, then switching to dairy-free options can relieve these issues. In addition, broccoli contains antioxidants which can help reduce inflammation, promote heart health, and boost immunity. Broccoli is also a good source of iron, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber.
You can further boost the vitamin content of this recipe by replacing the dairy-free shredded cheddar cheese with my dairy-free cheddar cheese sauce recipe. *Just be sure to omit the cup of water and one cup of the dairy-free milk from this soup recipe because you will already be using it in the dairy-free cheddar cheese sauce recipe.
How to make this dairy-free broccoli cheese soup recipe vegan
This dairy-free broccoli cheese soup recipe can easily be modified to be vegan by simply replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
How to make this dairy-free broccoli cheese soup recipe gluten free
This dairy free broccoli cheese soup recipe can be made gluten free by replacing the white all-purpose flour with a gluten-free alternative. Be sure to use a gluten-free flour that is not gritty. Tapioca flour may be a good option.
What if I can’t find or don’t have dairy-free shredded cheddar cheese?
No problem. You can use my dairy-free cheddar cheese sauce recipe instead. *Just be sure to subtract the one cup of water and one cup of the dairy-free milk from this dairy-free broccoli cheese soup recipe.
How long can any leftover soup be saved?
This dairy-free broccoli cheese soup recipe makes enough soup for four to six people. If you have some left over, you can refrigerate this soup in an airtight container for about 4 days. It is easy to reheat. Simply remove the amount of soup you want, give it a good stir, and microwave it to the desired heat. I usually microwave a small bowl for about a minute, stir it, and then test it to see if it is hot enough or needs a little more time.
This dairy-free broccoli cheese soup can be enjoyed by itself, with a sandwich, with a salad, or as a side dish to accompany your main course.
Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Soup
- ½ cup dairy free butter (Ex: Smart Balance)
- ½ cup white flour (or a gluten-free, non-gritty flour)
- 2 cloves fresh, chopped garlic
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegan)
- 3 cups dairy free milk alternative (Ex: Silk cashew/almond milk with protein)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 1 12 -16 oz. package frozen broccoli, steamed and drained (or 3 cups chopped, fresh broccoli)
- 1 cup dairy-free, shredded cheddar cheese (or use my dairy-free cheese sauce recipe)
- melt the dairy-free butter in a large sauce pan or stock pot over medium heat
- add the chopped garlic (decrease to 1 clove or omit if using my dairy-free cheddar cheese sauce recipe)
- whisk in the flour and let cook for one minute, until it sizzles
- add one cup of water (omit if using my cheddar cheese sauce recipe)
- add the 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth if vegan)
- whisk together until the flour/roux mixture is incorporated
- add the 3 cups dairy-free milk and whisk well(omit 1 cup if using my cheddar cheese sauce recipe)
- add 1 tsp. salt and whisk
- add 1 tsp. garlic powder and whisk
- add broccoli (if using frozen broccoli, follow directions on the package for steaming in the microwave and be sure to drain off any liquid)
- Let soup cook over medium-low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk occasionally as the soup thickens.
- add the dairy-free, shredded cheddar cheese and whisk in to soup (omit if using my dairy-free cheddar cheese sauce recipe)
- Cook another 5 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and broccoli is tender