Looking for a versatile, dairy free cheddar cheese sauce?
Look no further! This recipe is quick and delicious.
And it’s SO easy. Like, seriously. If you can boil water, you can make this sauce. Actually, you don’t even need to boil water. No joke. And it will blow your mind with how delicious it is: cheesy, savory, and totally vegan.
It’s also a great way to sneak in some veggies for those picky eaters in the family.
This dairy free cheddar cheese sauce can be used as a dip, to pour over nachos, for mac-n-cheese, etc.
Watch the Recipe Video
Dairy-Free Cheddar Cheese Sauce Recipe
How I make my dairy free cheddar cheese sauce
For this recipe, you will need a blender, a whisk, a small sauce pan, and the following ingredients:
Unsweetened almond/cashew milk
Canned, sliced carrots
If you accidentally get the mixture too thick, just add a dash of the dairy free milk and whisk it in. This sauce is very forgiving so no worries!
*This recipe can easily be gluten free by omitting the 2 tablespoons of flour and increasing the cornstarch to 3 Tablespoons. Another option is to substitute 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder for the regular flour.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond/cashew milk
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup canned, sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. regular mustard
- Add all the ingredients to a blender.
- Blend well for about 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Cook for approximately 10 minutes depending on your desired thickness.
- At first the mixture will have a lot of air bubbles from blending but these will start to disappear as the mixture thickens.
- As the sauce begins to thicken, start whisking. You may want to turn down the heat to medium.
- Continue whisking and then remove sauce when it reaches your desired thickness.