When we think of comfort food, a creamy macaroni and cheese often comes to mind. But, because of your dairy issues, you might be thinking you will never be able to enjoy mac and cheese. Well, my friend, think again because I don’t just have one dairy free mac and cheese recipe for you, I have two. (Yes, I do accept virtual hugs.)
Of course, we will not be using real cheese in these dairy free recipes but they will taste cheesy. This dairy free mac and cheese is so delicious that even the kids will love it!
Watch the Recipe Video
The first recipe involves a blender and two pans. The second recipe involves making a roux and the use of two pans. Feel free to choose which recipe seems easiest for you or better yet, try them both to find out which one you prefer.
Dairy Free Mac and Cheese Recipe #1 – the blender method
Fill a small sauce pan two-thirds full of water and place on medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil and add one cup of macaroni noodles.
As the macaroni noodles boil, begin preparing my dairy free cheddar cheese sauce.
Boil the macaroni noodles for about 10 minutes until they are soft. Drain the macaroni noodles and pour the thickened, dairy free cheddar cheese sauce over the noodles. Stir well. Enjoy!
Dairy Free Mac and Cheese Recipe #2 – the roux method
For this recipe, you will need one small sauce pan and one saute’ pan or skillet.
You will also need the following ingredients:
dry macaroni noodles
a dairy free, plant based butter alternative (For example: Smart Balance)
unflavored cashew/almond milk – the kind with pea protein works best (For example: Silk)
garlic powder (optional)
dairy free, plant based shredded cheddar cheese alternative
- 1 cup macaroni noodles
- 2 tbsp. dairy free butter alternative (Ex: Smart Balance)
- 2 tbsp. white four
- 1 1/2 cups unflavored cashew/almond milk (with pea protein) (Ex: Silk)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups plant based dairy free shredded cheddar cheese
- Fill the small saucepan about two-thirds full of water and place on medium-high heat.
- When the water boils, add the macaroni noodles. Boil the noodles for about 10 minutes until they soften.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, you can start to make the roux in the other pan.
- Place a saute’ pan or skillet on a burner at medium low heat.
- Put the dairy free butter in the pan and let it melt before adding the flour.
- I use a silicone whisk to combine the dairy free butter and flour.
- Let the roux cook for a few minutes until it starts to bubble a little.
- Add the dairy free cashew/almond milk and whisk until the roux is incorporated.
- Give this mixture a few minutes to thicken.
- Whisk in the salt and garlic powder.
- Once the roux has thickened, turn the burner to low.
- Add the dairy free, plant based shredded cheddar cheese.
- Whisk until the dairy free cheese melts and is incorporated.
- When the macaroni noodles are done, drain them and add them to the dairy free cheese sauce mixture in the skillet.
- Stir well and enjoy.