How to make a delicious dairy-free lasagna
The layers of sauce and ooey-gooey cheesiness are what most people love about lasagna. So how in the world can you achieve that cheesy goodness when making a dairy-free lasagna?
Luckily, we live in a time where there are several plant-based cheese alternatives available so even those of us with dairy allergies or lactose intolerance can enjoy lasagna.
Watch the Recipe Video
In this lasagna recipe, I give you the option of using either a store-bought, dairy-free, shredded mozzarella or my non-dairy mozzarella sauce recipe.
You may be asking, “What about the ricotta?” Well, don’t worry. I have you covered with my dairy-free, plant based ricotta cheese recipe. (I can hear the sigh of relief.)
This dairy-free lasagna recipe is so good, that no one will ever know it’s dairy-free unless you tell them.
Can you make this dairy-free lasagna and also a vegetarian lasagna?
Yes, this dairy-free lasagna can be easily modified to also be vegetarian lasagna by omitting the ground beef. Instead of ground beef, use your favorite vegetarian meat alternatives such as chopped spinach or hearty mushrooms. There are also plant-based meat alternatives available.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make my dairy-free lasagna:
1 pound of ground beef
Large container (24 ounces) of pasta sauce
6 Lasagna noodles
Dairy-free shredded mozzarella or my dairy free mozzarella sauce (see recipe)
If you want to make this a vegetarian dish, omit the ground beef and substitute a vegetable alternative like chopped spinach.
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 24 oz pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- dairy free ricotta
- 3 cups dairy free shredded mozzarella
- bring a large stock pot filled with water to a boil
- boil for 8-10 minutes
- while the noodles are cooking, brown the ground beef in a skillet
- drain grease off of cooked ground beef, chop into smaller pieces
- add salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning to ground beef
- add pasta sauce to ground beef
- add sugar to the pasta sauce and stir (optional)
- add 3 of the cooked lasagna noodles to the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan
- spoon some of the ricotta on each noodle then cover with meat sauce
- add the shredded mozzarella (1 1/2 cups)
- add 3 more lasagna noodles with ricotta
- cover with meat sauce
- cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
- add the remainder of the mozzarella cheese and cook for 15 more minutes